Re: FW: Next Grid hot key ` and the nightmare it can release

Le 03/07/2012 17:16, Dick Hollenbeck a écrit :
On 07/03/2012 05:09 AM, Carl Rash wrote:
Dick,
The diameter of the hole and the diameter of the via pad are correct
(verified with 3rd party gerber viewer), 0.015 and 0.025. The problem is the
hole is off center. I believe this code in gendrill.cpp is selecting the
size of the drill and that is correct. It may be that placing a hole within
one half a mil is not possible using the NC format if that is the case then
I would have like to have it detected at the DRC phase and not after
submission to the PCB fabrication house. Perhaps a minimum annular ring test
would be a good DRC check.
I am going to try and change the next grid hot key to a combination like
Ctrl+G that way It will not be likely that I can inadvertently change grid
size without knowing it. I have never used auto routers, I prefer to do it
myself so I depend on the grid staying where I set it.

Thanks for time
Carl Rash

Is there actually a bug here?

It is sounding like a user error, not a true bug.

It is fully understandable that you do not like the current functionality, which might be
validly classified as something other than a bug.

In fact, this is a truncating issue in Excellon drill file, not an actual bug in pcbnew.
The coordinates were truncated to 3 digits after the decimal point,
giving a 1/1000 mm resolution when the file is in mm (this is the max resolution allowed in Excellon files),
but only a 1/1000 inch resolution when the file is in inches (The max resolution allowed in Excellon files is 1/10000 inch)

This is not related to nanometer version, and, I am thinking, was a very old behavior.
This truncation can be seen only for some grids like 2.5 mils, but there is no bug inside Pcbnew.

I fixed it, and just committed the fix
(For Excellon files in inches, the max number of digits is now 4, that is the full allowed resolution).

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS