Re: Win32 compilation for kicad scripting

On 7/23/2012 9:25 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

Hahaha, good point Dick, anyway, somehow, in Win32 is a common
practice to include the python interpreter in many softwares that
depend on python, at least the DLL (see point b)

Anyway, my preferences are:

a) Ask the users to install Python 2.7.x, and set it on system PATH as
a prerequisite, if it's not satisfied during installation just give a
link to: [http://www.python.org/getit/], it's just 15MB   [apt-get
does that automatically in Linux]

b) Bundle the whole Python exe + Python.dll + python basic set of
system libraries,

c) Bundle only the Python.dll + python basic set of system libraries,

d) Statically link Python in kicad + provide the basic set of python
system libraries [a good way of wasting system memory]

--jokes--

e) forcing the users install Linux would save a lot of time, yes, but,
poor Win32 and Mac users ;)

f) Installing Linux itself [KicadOS!!!, hahaha]

I think that a is better than b,c (even though it needs more user
interaction) because the user will have all the system-wide available
python modules and libraries, and also kicad functionality will stay
available to any other python scripts on the Win32 systems.

Anyway, we might take a look to what other Win32 softwares are doing
regarding this, and think.

Good idea.

Blender might be one to look at (but a couple other data points are encouraged also).
Blender is heavily dependent on python, and has extremely tight scripting integration.
Does it run on Windows?  If so, something could be learned about what are they doing for
the poor Windows users.

Bundling the Python interpreter with the windows installer is probably your safest bet for most users. The other option I've seen that works well for power users is to also provide Python specific builds of the installer. Take a look at what the Bazaar folks are doing at http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/WindowsDownloads. It's more work for the developers building windows installers but it makes life a bit better for your users. I tend to error on the side of the user when it comes to ease of installation.

Don't feel too bad for those Windows users just yet. I still do not have a fully functional 3D graphics on Linux with my AMD HD7670 graphics card. The neither the open source Radeon driver or the propriety AMD catalyst driver works properly. So I'm forced to either go buy an NVidia card or run GNOME3 in the fall back mode (read low resolution and no 3D ). In spite of Linus' rants about NVidia, their proprietary Linux drivers have never given me any problems. On Windows my shiny new graphics card works just fine. I really thought we were getting past the whole graphics card nonsense but I guess not. I'm glad I got that off my chest. I feel much better now :)

There is much to be learned from their scripting integration also, I would think.  (If not
even graphics.)

(FYI, Microsoft actually lost money this quarter for the first time in their history.  And
I'm down to having spent only 20 minutes running Windows in the last two years.  Average
of 10 minutes per year.  These are two trends that will possibly continue.)

As much as Microsoft's lose of money made me misty eyed with joy (it couldn't happen to a nicer company), they have 10s of billions of dollars in cash which will take a while to burn through. It will be some before we can strike up a chorus of "Ding dong the witch is dead".

Wayne

Dick