Re: Realistic 3D Rendering

Sorry, I forgot to answer your questions,

2012/7/30 Bogdan-Florin Florea <floreabogdanflorin@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hello,
>
> I am developing a python script which uses the Kicad python bindings (from
> the development branch) and produces an output similar with the one
> produced by EagleUp plugin for Eagle.
>
> There are two difficulties that I have:
>
> - I need to produce a black and white image from each layer and I can't
> find an easy way to do it using the python bindings. Right now, I'm using
> "gerbv" to produce the images from the gerber files (being able to plot the
> gerber files from the script would also be great), but it only works on
> Linux, since the Windows version of gerbv doesn't seem to accept command
> line parameters.

At this moment, there are still no methods to launch the gerber output
generation, this is something I have in my TO-DO list, which is not easy
because it's quite coupled to the UI, so first we should do a refactoring.

It's a good functionality to get implemented, because it can help
automating the gerber and manufacturing outputs creation process.

> - I need to include some extra information for each instance of the
> module, in order to be able to specify the realistic 3D model (for example,
> a 0805 capacitor has a different model than a 0805 resistor). Where should
> this extra information be stored ?
>
> I think that brd file doesn't know anymore if a component is a capacitor,
a resistor, or any other thing, everything is modules to him, and it
doesn't keep other information but value and footprint.

I think you already solved that getting the module reference prefix (C / R
 , etc..), in the future we might be able top open also the sch files to
extract the information from there.

> You can check out the project and some 3D renderings at
> http://www.openimpulse.com/blog/kicad-up/

It's quite nice, it's a pity that Sketchup (even if it's freeware) it's a
closed tool, it would be great to get that kind of renderings (and later
integration to MCAD), something based in FreeCAD (even it's not quite
mature yet) would be awesome, they are quite python-based, it seems like it
will be a great tool to work with KiCad at some time.

> Best regards,
> Bogdan-Florin Florea

Greetings,
Mike,