Re: wxPython

2012/8/1 Lorenzo Marcantonio <l.marcantonio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 04:17:00PM +0200, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo wrote:
> > > Hmm, AFAIK, It's only a shared library installed to Python, some extra
> .py
> > files, and it includes some extra headers
> > that will go under wx-xx.xx/wx/wxPython when you install it, but no
> static
> > libraries or anything, just the .h files
> > under there are self-contained and unleash the full potential of your
> > system installed wx library :-)
>
> http://wxpython.org/builddoc.php says that the package builds *both*
> wxWidget and wxPython. Maybe it's to avoid dll hell with mismatching
> release...

Well, In that case could only complicate windows for the ones who build
from sources, because they will need to build wx + wxpython , certainly
It's to avoid
version mistmatches.

I'll try to help on the Win32 compilation, as I'm starting to deploy a
Win32 devel environment. MacOS will need more help.

> > Everything is handled by cmake at this moment, will need to tweak Win32 a
> > little bit again, but probably not too much.
>
> I don't mean from the kicad side, is the wx build which worries me

If you're in linux, you don't need to be worried about it. But we must take
care of Windows compilation for sure.

> > I'm testing with standard installed wx-2.8 , and wxpython in ubuntu +
> > python 2.7, but Edwin was making it work with python-2.6,
>
> OK similar to me then. wx-2.8 and python-2.7 should give troubles then
> (never used python, I installed it only to run bzr:P)

Other wx versions might work as long as they are supported by the wxPython
sources.

> Sorry, don't know what do you mean exactly for that part :-)
>
> When you build wxWidget you could enable a 'checked build' which pops up
> assertion boxes on programming issues (like using an uninitialized dc and
> stuff). I tracked down a lot of bugs in kicad with these.
>
> Anyway thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to make it work...

Oh, I understand what you mean.

We're working on a separate branch right now until the concept works as
expected ( https://code.launchpad.net/~miguelangel-r/kicad/scripting ) if
you try the branch there you must know that only pcbnew compilation works
right now.

Anyway, we can make the internal "wx" scripting a conditional compile, so
you can avoid it when needed (but then you might be loosing the wx
functionality from python).