Re: Symbol library for FTDI chips

On 11/06/2012 06:26 AM, Simon Turner wrote:
> It would be good to look at all schematic and footprint libraries as
> many are wrong or basic shapes are missing. For example the vertical
> TO-220 footprint has a rather unusual pinout numbering that screws
> things up and many symbols come with no pin mumbers so they don't
> associate and the netlist info is missing. The problem is even if I
> correct this it reverts back later. You can have the best software you
> like but if the connections are all coming out wrong no one will want to
> use it.

The problem with looking at all schematic symbols is that it's a
daunting, meticulous, and time-consuming task. I think a "we'll cross
that bridge when we get to it" approach is much more suitable in this
case. We just need an easy way for users to submit corrections/improvements.
The problem with weird pin naming also stems from the fact that the
transistor pin-out is in no way standardized. Some TO-92 for example are
EBC, while others are CBE, so the only way to make sure you get the
correct pin-out is to name both symbol and footprint pins E, B, and C,
and choose the correct footprint (EBC or CBE in our case). It still
confuses me.

Going back to the FTDI symbols, I am hoping to maybe get a couple of
"field tests" of the symbols. I should have all of them withished within
a week or so.

Alex