Re: PLUGIN::Footprint*() from python

On 11/13/2012 05:33 PM, Chris Giorgi wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I've been glancing at this thread on&off for a while and have and have an observation
> and suggestion.
>
> A board has a distinct set of lamination layers:
>     Front
>     Inner 1
>        :
>     Inner n
>     Back
>
> Each lamination may have one or more physical materials or operations:
>     Substrate, Copper, Adhesive, Solder Paste, Solder Mask, Silk Screen, Drill, Place
> Parts, Probe, etc...

A real board does, yes.  But in the software each of the above is a "layer", so the
paradigm you are proposing does not match, nor does it help in the reduction of dope
associated with pads, measured in total text length.

In this thread, mostly we are trimming pad descriptions down with this, since we do not
have padstack support.    This *.kicad_pcb and *.kicad_mod effort now is merely a file
format conversion, to improved readability.  There is no change being made at this time to
internal BOARD data structures as a result of this current work.