Re: Python scripting cmake build macros.

2013/1/15 Brian Sidebotham <brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx>

> On 15 January 2013 03:15, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 14, 2013 8:27 PM, "Dick Hollenbeck" <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > I want to simplify the conversation and refer to these needed items as
>> windows "packages".
>> >
>> > Python
>> > Python-dev
>> > WxPython
>> > WxPython-dev
>> WxWidgets
>> WxWidgets-dev
>>
>> 6 packages, not 4.
>>

>> > No source, nothing for our windows kicad builders to build.
>> >
>> > The 4 Packages are dowloaded from our website, and installed in known
>> places on every supported windows os.
>> >
>> > 4 packages  can have been built by any compiler in advance, or simply
>> repackaged by us in advance, but for new mingw kicad code coming in to sit
>> on top or to inter-operate thru the windows dll abi.
>> >
>> > I'm wanting the goal to be ageeded upon before the work begins.  I
>> think I've stated it here clearly.
>> >
>> > Windows ABI says the compiler used to build the 4 packages should not
>> matter.  Information hiding says only API headers should be necessary.
>>

> Dick, I totally agree with this! It is how Inkscape do it (
> https://launchpad.net/inkscape-devlibs ) and I think it would be the best
> way forward for KiCad.
>
> I would be tempted to include swig in there too to make it a bit more
> complete as a set of build dependencies.
>
> Wayne, thanks so much for looking at this too. The last place I got stuck
> was the missing -lrt problem.

I totally agree, a set of libraries, binaries and headers in a separate
project like dick proposed, and inkscape does, would be perfect.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape-devlibs/trunk/files

we could keep something like brian's winbuilder that builds everything,
updates the bin, include, etc dirs... and re-uploads to bzr,
would be great.

May be it could be a split of winbuilder, and then winbuilder can be
simplified to just fetch the libs & build. (It's just an idea for you
brian, in the end winbuilder is your project)

In Windows we also have the x32 / x64 issue, how do we handle that? Two
sets of libraries in different directories?

--

Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo
http://www.nbee.es