Re: Python scripting cmake build macros.

On 01/15/2013 09:16 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 1/15/2013 9:33 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>>> wxPython-dev includes wxWidgets-dev so it should work fine for KiCad
>>> builds without scripting as well.  It should just be a matter of
>>> creating the MinGW linker stubs to the MSVC built libraries provided by
>>> the wxPython-dev package.  The only caveat may be if there is any name
>>> mangling issues between the two linkers.
>>
>> We were reminded recently that stub libraries can use ordinals instead of names.
>>
>> As long as the DLL entry points follow the Windows DLL ABI  for argument passing and stack
>> cleanup, then it is in theory possible.
>>
>> With so many competing ABIs on Windows, it is also in possible that somebody screwed up
>> when building the pre-built DLLs, and you won't notice it until you bring in the second
>> compiler technology, i.e. Mingw.
>>
>> In that case it might mean building the DLLs yourself, instead of repackaging standard
>> ones.  And at that point you'd want to kick some ass, just to make somebody pay for their
>> disregard for the rest of the [non-Microsoft] world.
> Trust me, it's way past that already.  This has been a complete exercise
> in frustration.  It really shouldn't be this difficult.

I understand, fully.

Even the "smart guys" who would use mingw, are too stupid to know that cygwin is one the
worst ideas in the history of man, right after autotools.

http://python-mingw.donbennett.org:8081/mywiki/

This is just stupid.

These patches should have included a build package using CMake.  Why spoil the mingw
experience with cygwin?

When the openocd guys rejected my CMake build scripts, that's when I left that project.
They wanted to continue to use configure, and would not even commit the CMake build
scripts in parallel.  I will not maintain any build environment using autotools.

The rest of my life is short and I have gotten enormously stubborn about wasting it on
crap like autotools and cygwin.  So I get to quit opensource projects where my time is
being wasted, openocd was a case in point.  In about 60 days after leaving that project I
rewrote the ARM9 stuff in stack consisting of C++ and Java and Groovy.

KiCad has definitely been the beneficiary of some good choices along the way.