Re: Python scripting cmake build macros.

On 01/31/2013 10:17 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 1/31/2013 10:49 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>>> What is pywin32 exactly?  The sourceforge website for it says nothing.  Is this simply
>>> python for windows, carried to you in an installer?
>> Why is it important to KiCad python scripting, which I would think wants to avoid Windows
>> specific idiosyncrasies?
>>
> The documentation website is here:
>
> http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html.
>
> It's a stand alone python extension of various Windows 32 bit C API's.
> I've used it before for Windows specific development.  Mostly to access
> OCX and OLE controls.  AFAIK it is not necessary for wxPython although
> there may be some Window's specific parts of wxPython that require it to
> function properly.

wxPython:

If there is a dependency anywhere in the 345 megabytes of wxPython source code on pywin32,
then they should have called it mfcPython, not wxPython.

I'm hoping proper software layering would have caused wxPython to simply be parked on top
of wxWidgets and Python.  But there is 345 megabytes all potentially conspiring to ruin my
hopes and make your warning flag devastatingly true.

Some of this source tree is doxygen docs and C++ support for non-Windows platforms, so the
actual number of megabytes that is pertinent to windows, although still quite sizable, is
smaller than 345 megabytes.

Good thing that.  Well, better anyway.  :)