Re: Mac OSX build, with scripting, codename "wife"

On 10/03/2013, at 11:30, Martijn Kuipers <martijn.kuipers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Viva,
>
> On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:23 AM, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo <miguelangel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hehe, yes, you're right, universal is ppc+x86+x64, x86+x64 is only multi binary.
>>
>> My system cannot compile for ppc (it's a mountain lion and has not ppc sdk or rosseta anymore -the emulation layer-.)
>>
> Neither can mine. I usually build single versions, because otherwise you are basically downloading the program twice (or thrice when also including ppc).

Hehehe, yes, I talked with Marco about that, and he told me that nobody asked for ppc version yet, and his binaries are i386+x64 so probably we shouldn't spent time on that as long as we provide the means to build.

>> Edit the wx patch in patches directory and look for a line that removes ppc (if you want to try with ppc) :)
> Also only Mountain Lion (so happy to not have Rosetta around).
>

>> I send your thanks to my wife :)

Sent them to her, :D, she smiled ;)

>> I'm also thinking of a new structure to keep the demos & system libs out of the app bundle but in the app directory, as some other apps do
>>
>> like
>>
>> Applications/kicad/kicad.app (with the libs,etc)
>> Applications/kicad/pcbnew.app
>> Applications/kicad/*.app
>> Applications/kicad/shared/{libs,modules,templates,plugins…}
>>

> I was always hoping to see the libraries ("DLLs") to go into /Library/Kicad, so we can keep the memory footprint down of the separate Kicad components. But it is not a trivial task, so it seems.
> I am not following what you want to do. Is it like:
> /Applications/kicad/kicad.app <- the app with the libs
> /Applications/kicad/libraries <- footprints, components, etc.
> /Applications/kicad/scripts <- python user scripts
> /Applications/kicad/doc <- documentation and demos
> ?

Look to the patches/loader.sh on github, at this moment, all the libraries *.dylib and files go inside kicad.app/Frameworks/ and the other apps use them from there (../../../kicad.app/Frameworks) , wx and python-site mainly.

Also there are the demos+modules+etc in kicad.app/Resources/ or something like that  that's what I was planning to pull out of kicad.app again and yet leave it findable for all the apps.