Solder paste wish list

It could take two layers to do this - One layer to mask-out the default paste and a second layer to put in what you want. But I don't think many are using it at all so just reversing the function might be a simple useful fix.

Right now the solder-paste layer adds area's to put solder paste on - not exactly useful. What is most often needed is a way to reduce the solder-paste under parts that want to 'float-away'.

(In my old notes - this layer WAS called solder-paste-mask - which suggests it was to 'mask' solder-paste - probably what it should do.)

To understand why this is needed - look at pg-12 of

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PBSS8110X.pdf

The right way is to use less paste under some areas. I can't think of a need to add paste - just a need to mask it out - so it could be done with one layer - but the layer that is used in the stable release is applied as an addition, not a mask.

If the solder-paste layer could be subtracted from the solder-paste gerber that is generated from the pads, it would solve this problem easily.

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://secure.transtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Truth is mighty and will prevail.
There is nothing wrong with this,
except that it ain't so.
--Mark Twain