Re: KiCad Project Tree improvements

On Apr 14, 2013 10:20 AM, "Andreas Butti" <andreas_b123@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> I'm new to the KiCad mailing list. I'm a computer scientists, in my free
time I sometimes use KiCad.

> I had some Ideas to improve the project tree, and if the community thinks
they are useful I may can implement them.

> What I would change the tree to the following format:
>
> - Root: Workspace (instead of Project)
>     - Projects
>         - Project A
>         - Project B
>         - Project C
>     - Templates
>         -MyTemplate A
>         -MyTemplate B
>     - Libraries
>         - AVRs
>         - RGB LED PLCC6
>
> etc.
>
> If you now clicks to "Projects" you get on the right side the options to
> - Create a new Project
> - Create a new Project from Template
>
> If you click to "Template" you get the options
> - Create a new template
> - Search for templates [INPUT FIELD]
> - [List with newest online templates, can be downloaded]
>
> If you click to "Libraries"you get the options:
> - Create a new library
> - Search for libraries [INPU TFIELD]
> - [List with newest online libraries, can be downloaded]
>
> if you click to a Project you get the start screen you now have:
> - On top the buttons to start Eeschema, CvPcb etc.
> - Below is not the Log output, there is
>     - A Field for a Project Description (I think text, maybe RTF)
>     - A list to assign Libraries to the project. The Libraries are
managed in the workspace

> And now the technical background:
> Add workspace, new views on the right etc. is not much to do. It means we
need additional to the project also a workspace file.

> For downloading Libs or Template we have to opinions:
> - Define a standard, everybody who wants to provide libraries has to
implement this interface (e.g. REST)
> - Allow Plug ins
>
> I would do a mix of both, we should define a standard with REST, but  we
should implement the client in a scripting language. We can e.g. use python
or javascript. (e.g. https://developers.google.com/v8/embed)

Hi Andreas.

I think for pcbnew that the client should be a c++ plugin, using support
for such http in wx, and put that client in our class PLUGIN found in
pcbnew directory.  That is an additional implementation of PLUGIN.  It will
be easy to instantiate PLUGIN s soon with fp lib table support, and you can
put the url in the fp lib table.

So you're suggestions are not new ideas.

Http and REST are what I was thinking also for a long time now.

A simple rest server could be provided in python since users will have that
language installed and it is
cross platform, could run from the same python already installed using a
pure python server, or could run as a pyhon module inside apache or nginx.

For eeschema I had been hoping to do the thing described down in the
/new directory someday with funding.

> Then its easy to add 3rd party sites, e.g. if somebody wants to share his
libraries or templates on github it only needs a github client javascript
and we can access such libraries from main KiCad screen.