Terminology footprint vs module

In eeschema - library-editor/fields and properties - there is a 'footprint' field.

In PCBnew - the 'footprint' field is actually specifying a 'module'.

I think kicad should use one name ( I like footprint - it is the most descriptive ( at least in English), but I'm not fussy as long as the name can be consistent).

There are other names that have been used for this in other software: 'footprint', 'decals', 'land patterns', 'cell', 'model'

IPC standardized on land-pattern (which I don't like as it is not intuitive)

Programmatically, a module is more than a footprint - as it can point to other bits - 3D models, documentation etc - but using different names introduces needless confusion to beginning users.

I bring this up as I get quite a few questions about this via the kicad pages wiki at
http://wiki.xtronics.com

Probably the most common confusion of new users ..

I did address this at http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/EE_CAD_Terminology

but I still get questions..

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://secure.transtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Truth is mighty and will prevail.
There is nothing wrong with this,
except that it ain't so.
--Mark Twain