Re: Terminology footprint vs module

On 05/24/2013 01:17 PM, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> In eeschema - library-editor/fields and properties - there is a 'footprint' field.
>
> In PCBnew - the 'footprint' field is actually specifying a 'module'.
>
> I think kicad should use one name ( I like footprint - it is the most descriptive ( at least in
> English), but I'm not fussy as long as the name can be consistent).
>
> There are other names that have been used for this in other software: 'footprint', 'decals', 'land
> patterns', 'cell', 'model'
>
> IPC standardized on land-pattern (which I don't like as it is not intuitive)
>
> Programmatically, a module is more than a footprint - as it can point to other bits - 3D models,
> documentation etc - but using different names introduces needless confusion to beginning users.
>
> I bring this up as I get quite a few questions about this via the kicad pages wiki at
> http://wiki.xtronics.com
>
> Probably the most common confusion of new users ..
>
> I did address this at http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/EE_CAD_Terminology
>
> but I still get questions..

I have similar feelings, but I do not think there is a reason to race to a resolution for
one main reason:

I think in the future it would be nice if a module could hold tracks and vias, in addition
to one (or several) footprint(s).

So the answer to your disciples might be that a module is potentially a superset of a
footprint.

If and when that happens, we will need both terms, so there is insufficient justification
and motivation to eliminate one term now IMO.

Dick