Re: Flash/Pad support

On 06/04/2013 04:01 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 06/04/2013 03:32 PM, Adam Wolf wrote:
>> Align and distribute support in Kicad would be useful, and one of the
>> features I want the most--however, when I looked at the code to work
>> on it, it did not seem like something I could do.  It would be
>> interesting to see what the dev team thinks, and if they have thoughts
>> on what they'd approve and "how to get there from here."
>>
>> Adam Wolf
>> Wayne and Layne, LLC
>

> :) I anticipate I would use it occasionally.
>
> Not sure about the thread below, I usually like to define terms before having a discussion.
>
> Most graphical editing programs have the ability to "select" a number of objects, and have
> that selection live for a few minutes.  While selected, it is possible to operate on the
> objects in the selection.  A "group" can mean different things in different programs, so I
> defer to the person taking to the time to define it.
>
> Without "multiple object selection", doing "align and distribute" is crazy weird.
>
> But since I want everything I can get for free, I am in favor of somebody else writing
> this,

I am reminded just how nicely the "user grid" worked this morning.  I

a) set up the grid anchor point,

b) established user defined grid spacing,

c) and then merely moved existing objects (pads in this case) to the nearest grid point.

Worked like a charm for pads in the module editor.  I'm supposing it would work similarly
for footprints in the pcb editor, so long as the anchor points of the footprints all made
sense.

Dick