Re: libgnomeprint issues are back.

On 06/21/2013 11:23 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> KiCad failed to build against the latest build of wxWidgets 2.8.12 on
> Debian testing.  Apparently they have dropped building wxWidgets with
> libgnomeprint since it has been deprecated from the Gnome project for
> quite some time.

By "they" you must surely mean the wxWidgets maintainer.  It would be nice to have some
influence over that maintainer.  I would ask, why are you using 2.8.x at all?

Attached is the the output of

$ ./configure --help

and it shows that wxWidgets subversion head still supports

--with-gnomeprint
--with-gtkprint'

and that perhaps they are default settings.  This subversion head would correspond more
with 2.9.5 than with 2.9.4.

So the package maintainer must have added the without option.

> My guess is other Debian based distros will soon
> follow suit so this is just the tip of the iceberg.  I propose we change:
>
> #if defined( __WXGTK__ )
> #   if !wxUSE_LIBGNOMEPRINT && !wxUSE_GTKPRINT && !SWIG
> #       error "You must use '--with-gnomeprint' or '--with-gtkprint' in
> your wx library configuration."
> #   endif
> #endif
>
> to:
>
> #if defined( __WXGTK__ )
> #   if !wxUSE_LIBGNOMEPRINT && !wxUSE_GTKPRINT && !SWIG
> #       warning "You must use '--with-gnomeprint' or '--with-gtkprint'
> in your wx library configuration to enable full printing capability."
> #   endif
> #endif

What you suggest is the easiest, and I support it.

The next harder solution but more flexible solution, is for folks to build their own wx or
at least have an option to.  With Brian's work this is not going to be impossibly difficult.

Dick