Re: libgnomeprint issues are back.

On 06/21/2013 09:05 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 06/21/2013 11:23 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> KiCad failed to build against the latest build of wxWidgets
>> 2.8.12 on Debian testing.  Apparently they have dropped building
>> wxWidgets with libgnomeprint since it has been deprecated from
>> the Gnome project for quite some time.
>
> By "they" you must surely mean the wxWidgets maintainer.  It would
> be nice to have some influence over that maintainer.  I would ask,
> why are you using 2.8.x at all?
>

> Attached is the the output of
>
> $ ./configure --help
>

> and it shows that wxWidgets subversion head still supports
>
> --with-gnomeprint --with-gtkprint'
>
> and that perhaps they are default settings.  This subversion head
> would correspond more with 2.9.5 than with 2.9.4.
>
> So the package maintainer must have added the without option.

Another bit of information: If wx is built on a system with no
libgnomeprint (I believe that's the requirement) it will ignore any
- --with-gnomeprint switches. Seen that on my arch linux systems - when
I install wx from the binary repository, it has no gnomeprint/gtkprint
support, but if I get the source and the settings the maintainer uses
for building, it will build with gnomeprint (as I have libgnomeprint
installed). The Arch Build System makes this process easy.

> [...] The next harder solution but more flexible solution, is for
> folks to build their own wx or at least have an option to.  With
> Brian's work this is not going to be impossibly difficult.

I don't know if it's worth it - recently, I have only been using
Gentoo Linux and Arch Linux, and both make it incredibly easy for the
user to rebuild any package from source and install it into the
"normal" package management. On the Slackware Linux I used before it
was not much harder. I can't comment on Debian or any of the
Debian-based distros though.

JFYI, Heiko

- --
eMails verschlüsseln mit PGP - privacy is your right!
Mein PGP-Key zur Verifizierung: http://pgp.mit.edu