Re: Kicad Tool Framework

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 05:11:52PM +0200, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
> With more or less acrobatics one could probably cast everything into
> wx event system.

With sufficient acrobatics you could do kicad in assembly (looking at
the disk platter to toggle the bits, obviously).

Since the event system you described is pretty simple maybe it would be
not too complicate to write one ad-hoc.

> Why programs like Mozilla, Gimp, Blender, Webkit and EDA tools
> (proprietary, such as Altium & free, like gEDA) have custom event
> systems? Maybe this is one of the reasons.

Blender is toolkitless, couldn't have done in any other way:D Gimp uses,
by definition, the GTK one and mozilla/webkit are more or less toolkit
agnostic so they need to do it in their way. Altium probably did that
because it already has some graphical abstraction (IIRC it can use
DirectStuff to accelerate drawing), so probably the reason is similar to
our.

IMHO is better to recode a *simple* system than to try to bend
a *complex* one into shape, if possible.

> I was going to explain the concept of coroutines in tools, but
> Lorenzo was faster (thanks for nice examples!).

Did that stuff I don't remember how many times... every product of ours
with keys and a display substantially work that way. In assembly:P

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl