Re: Experiments and considerations for more layer

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 10:30:47AM +0100, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
> I could really do with more layers too. Although when I say *more*  layers,
> I mean that I could really do with dedicated assembly and courtyard layers.

Exactly what I have done... probably for your same reasons, too.

> The assembly layer needs the reference field on, as you say, at the
> insertion point of the component as well as a physical bounding box; This
> should flip when the component is flipped.

Exactly, I added the courtyard front/back and assembly front/back,
because this time I have a dual sided assembly.

Drawing on assembly without the ability of turning off the silk
however is painful. Well, the whole module editor become painful when
you don't draw only on silk top.

> Thanks for spending the time investigating it, because I'll sure be glad of
> any work that goes into supporting these layers.

IMHO time should be spend thinking about a generic layer solution; at
the moment sadly there is too much UI code (form definitions, too) with
the layer list embedded.

For now at least it solves the problem and opens a medium-term solution
for expandibility. Going over 64 layers has significant consequences for
the code base, however (do we really need it?).

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl