Re: MASM Boost dependency on Windows

On Oct 15, 2013 8:18 AM, "Brian Sidebotham" <brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 15 October 2013 01:55, Lorenzo Marcantonio <l.marcantonio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 10:45:38PM +0100, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
>> > Yes, MinGW has GNU AS (It's part of binutils). I don't know why they've
>> > implemented it with MASM instead for the Windows platform.
>>
>> Problem: gas uses AT&T syntax, not MASM one. YASM/NASM could be a better
>> bet.
>

> So? The syntax isn't a reason as they've used GNU AS for the linux port.
>

>> But probably they choose MASM to use some Windows-specific trickery? The
>> context classes IIRC are for coroutine so they only should do
>> stack/register freezing but who knows...
>>

> I suspect it's more a case of their Windows developer being familiar with
MASM and so he wrote what he was comfortable in;

Sure, this was probably  a weenie that did the initial patch for MSVC.

Possibly it was the first version of the context support.  But instead of
making him do a walk of shame for bringing assembly language into a C++
project, the others did linux and mac ports in binutils.  Nobody thought
about going back for mingw, cross building with mingw from non windows.

Was setjmp longjmp discussed?  Was a walk of shame discussed?

 But maybe there were other issues that forced their hand.

> Having said that, the AT&T syntax is absolutely awful.
>
> As Dick says, this completely breaks cross-compilation of Boost.
>

>> Wasn't MASM deprecated/unsupported for a long time anyway?
>

> It still appears to be a current download from the Microsoft website.
>
> I've committed the change to temporarily disable building the context
library until we can have a patch in place or similar to compile Boost with
just GNU tools when using MinGW.

> I'll have a look at the GAL/P&S branch to see if we can pull this stuff
in - unless it will get pulled in when these branches get merged in?