Re: MASM Boost dependency on Windows

On 10/15/2013 10:07 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
> On 10/15/2013 03:33 PM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 02:18:19PM +0100, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
>>> As Dick says, this completely breaks cross-compilation of Boost.
>>
>> Well, can't say it is a good thing... as a workaround maybe supplying
>> precompiled (preassembled!) object for that couple of file could be
>> useful, too.
>
> I am just wondering - don't those files included in the CERN branch
> (http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~cern-kicad/kicad/testing/files/head:/common/system/)
> solve the problem? If no - what is wrong with them, maybe we can
> introduce some modifications?
> I was able to build the KiCad using these files on every supported
> platform (actually the tool framework and the push and shove router
> depends on them).

Thanks Orson.  Not to make a mountain out of molehill, one of our supported platforms is
desktop "linux".

Desktop Linux does not imply x86 or x86_64.

It implies any desktop linux.  This includes multiple processor architectures, not the
least of which is ARM.  Some folks have already had KiCad running on ARM.  ARM will be a
player for the indefinite future of linux.  ARM is supported in boost::context.
boost::context does not support mingw's binutils.

It was the choice to use co-routines that comes at this cost.  It is not a high cost, but
not negligible.

Probably the path of least resistance, from here, is to add the binutils patch to our
boost ExternalProject_Add() patch set, re-enable boost::context, and then keep submitting
these patches upstream.

I don't think we've done that even for the current boost patch.  We can ping the patch
requests from time to time, offer them under different submitter names, make noise.

Dick