Re: Cairo rendering backend

On 11/07/2013 01:59 PM, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
> On 11/07/2013 08:30 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

>>> It could be used when OpenGL renderer does not work. I am not really
>>> sure if eg. Intel Atom integrated graphics is able to use it. I have
>>> seen a glewinfo report that states the GPU is compatible only up to
>>> OpenGL 1.4, which is 11 years old. I hope it was only an issue of having
>>> not appropriate drivers.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Orson
>>

>> Please think about this:
>>
>> At what point is is cheaper to buy the KiCad user a new computer, than it is to write
>> software for his incompatible computer?
>>
>> cost of development is = man-hours x cost of a man-hour
>>
> Hi,
>
> If we take only the cost into account, the choice of OpenGL as the only
> backend is quite obvious. The cheapest card in my nearby computer store
> (geforce GT-210) is $35, it's more than enough to run Kicad smoothly
> even with quite big projects. This is probably the cost of a single
> small 2-layer prototype board.
>
> IMHO the real reason for keeping the software renderer are the Linux
> users who bought/got hardware that doesn't work reliably under Linux
> (some ATI/S3 cards, people who want only F/OSS drivers). If this is a
> significant group (and even better, if someone from that group would
> participate), we might improve the wx backend or write a scanline
> renderer optimized for PCB geometry (concept similar to Quake 1 engine).

You might.  That expenditure would be, again:

   man-hours x cost per man-hour.

Grabbing some number out of the air:

80 x 70 = $5600  cost to the employer.

This same money buys approximately 160 graphics cards.

The second path has the KiCad user more happy because performance is better, and the
investment is a sure thing.

Please tell us where to send addresses, for the free graphics cards.