Re: bzr is unmaintained. Should we move KiCAD repository to git too?

On 11/27/2013 04:10 PM, Povilas Kanapickas wrote:
On 11/27/2013 10:47 PM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 10:14:10PM +0200, Povilas Kanapickas wrote:

The fact that bzr has so few commits would be in fact a sign that's
working fine IMHO :D

I believe this is not the case. See [1] and e.g. this post [2].

Please no VCS holy wars, but I don't feel the need for changing system if
the current one works...

I share your view. I just think that there's high chance that migration
away from bzr will happen in the future anyway, thus the proposal. I
will unconditionally accept any strong objections.

I have a strong objection. I have no interest in moving the KiCad project to another VCS and/or hosting site. It has nothing to do with GIT but it hasn't been all that long since we moved from Subversion and SourceForge. That transition was not without issues. What does moving buy us that we don't already have? Is Bazaar not meeting our VCS needs or Lauchpad not meeting our hosting needs? Not as far as I can tell. If tomorrow Canonical says they are shutting Launchpad down, that would be different.

Also what about the pain of a) converting the repo and b) converting all
the private repos out there? if it where, like, svn just migrate (if
possible without losing a thing) and you are fine. DVCS instead need
a way bigger involvement to migrate!

Bzr to git migration is very easy. The commands are very similar to the
following script:

# we are in <..>/kicad.bzr
mkdir ../tmp.git && cd ../tmp.git
git init --bare
bzr fast-export ../kicad.bzr <branch> | git fast-import
mkdir ../kicad.git
git clone ../tmp.git
# current dir has a git-to-bzr clone

It's not just the repo that would require conversion. The bug list, questions, FAQ, and blueprints would either have be abandoned or migrated to another host such as GitHub unless Launchpad supports GIT.

The above may contain some errors or typos as I don't have the exact
script that I used to convert several other fairly large projects at hand.

Thus I believe even private repo migration shouldn't involve more than
several minutes of developers time.

Regards,
Povilas

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bugs