Re: Development of IDFv3 export

----- Original Message -----

Thanks for your comments. The more I think about it, the more I suspect that the least intrusive compliant IDF solution is to maintain IDF footprint files in a manner similar to what we do with VRML.  I'm not really keen on that though since I see IDF as being of rather limited use. I'll post on the user's list and see if I can get some comments from habitual IDF users.  For my own use I like the ability to generate my board solid model with holes in it and I'm quite happy to spend a few minutes manually putting in models of the more critical components; even in a previous project with over 400 components on the board there were fewer than 20 components which required good models.

>>  Ultimately the MCAD doesn't care about the holes; with SolidWorks I
> simply have a cut outline named "PTH" which contains the location and
> size of all PTH and the same goes for NPTH. Even the mounting holes which happen
> to be plated go into PTH, so I can't even distinguish mounting holes from
> others based on the name or grouping within SolidWorks.
>
> It seems that's a 'nobody care' value, then:D (still hoping for a
> flag
> to denote important holes, for filtering plots too!).

Well, it's an enforced "nobody cares" value since even an expensive MCAD package will not give you what you want even when IDF provides it. I wonder if CATIA does any better.  What kind of flags would you put on holes and how would you use those flags? I'm just curious - not volunteering to code such a thing of course. :P

- Cirilo