Re: unified configuration files placement proposal

On 1/20/2014 3:00 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 07:11:59PM +0100, ml wrote:
>> ~/.config/kicad
>
> That should be an XDG standard place or something like that, it's fine
> for me. Even everything in a ~/.kicad would be OK.
>
> Everything but not-hidden file in the home (like the current
> fp-lib-table)...

This has been discussed before.  The problem implementing this is not
Linux.  Windows is the problem child.  Since the footprint library table
implementation, the fp-lib-table file is stored as text file on Windows
in appropriate user's application data path .  In other words the output
of wxStandardPaths::GetUserConfigDir() with the "kicad" path appended to
it.  I would prefer to save all of the Windows configuration in separate
files in the same path.  It would require some significant changes to
the way configuration settings are saved on Windows.  I'm may get around
to it one of these days since I too think that KiCad adds too many files
to the ~/ folder on Linux.