Re: Revisiting the Git decision

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 03:57:40PM +0100, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
> $du -h ./kicad-feat1
> 203M

Wait until you compile :P

3,1G    kicad-bzr

Also unstripped binaries are a little scary:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 lomarcan lomarcan 114433370 feb  3 19:39 pcbnew

(yes, ld time is painful). No i7 here, just a Duo L9300 with passive
cooling:P

> Now combine this with all dependencies (boost!) that get downloaded and
> compiled by cmake for each branch. Being a lazy git user, I feel like
> switching from a Ferrari to a Fiat Multipla (with broken engine...).

I can't handle more than trunk and my branch. It would take too much!
Also the Fiat Multipla is *way* too good, the canonical junk car is the
Fiat Duna:D:D; living in Italy I know Fiat too well... BTW now is called
FCA (Fiat-Chrysler)

> >I agree, we should probably have a wiki page similar to Inkscape's,
> >but Inkscape has many more contributors compared to KiCad. PCB design
> >is less popular than vector graphics in general.
>
> I noticed that Inkscape guys have two very nice features that kicad could
> greatly benefit from:
> - git-bzr-ng: a git plugin that lets git users clone from/push to a bazaar
> repo. I gave it a quick try and it seems to satisfy my needs :) Maybe this
> will let us avoid another holy war between bzr and git worshippers.
> - a separate repo or archives with all compiled, *binary* dependencies, at
> least for Windows. Compiling half of the system libraries just to build a
> single program was fun for me when I was 14. Since then I grew up and
> uninstalled Gentoo...

Having to compile keep the system bloat free. I'd never *try* to install
KDE or Gnome. In fact I have no desktop environment (just fluxbox as
a wm)

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl