Re: Revisiting the Git decision

On 4 February 2014 10:07, Blair Bonnett <blair.bonnett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5 February 2014 03:07, Brian Sidebotham <brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>

>> ...snip...
>>

>> I sent the other link very much on purpose, as on that page, a few
>> paragraphs in is a link to this page:
>> http://www.inkscape.org/en/develop/using-git-repositories/
>>
>> in other words, fill your boots, work with Git on the KiCad codebase
>> if you want, there should be nothing stopping you. Yes, we could
>> document this feature ourselves, but none of the lead developers (as
>> far as I'm aware) use git-bzr-ng for developing with git branches.
>>
>> You should find that any of your preferred Git workflows are possible
>> using git-bzr-ng. If you have the time, please try the git workflow
>> and see if it does work for you. If it does, then great - we can make
>> a big song and dance about it and let everyone know that they can
>> develop with Git workflows, it would be valuable information for us!
>>
>> Just email a unified patch per feature (preferably not a patch set,
>> because they're harder to review quickly) to the developers list
>> starting the subject with PATCH:
>>
>> Thank-you for your interest, and taking the time to join the
>> developers list and discuss...
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Brian.
>

> There is another option for people who want to use Git: a mirror. There is a
> mirror under the KiCad user account (the one with all the libraries) on
> GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror
>
> However, it usually seems to be out of date, and very sporadically updated.
> For some time, I have had a mirror under my account:
>
> https://github.com/blairbonnett-mirrors/kicad
>
> This is synchronised to the product series of the Bazaar repository every 10
> minutes by a script on my server. Any patches generated against this mirror
> should be able to be applied against the Bazaar repo quite happily.

This sounds excellent. I think I am going to base my pending work on
your mirror until the official kicad-source-mirror is fixed to be
up-to-date.

We need to make sure though that the reverse path back into the KiCad
source works as well: pull requests.
The first part is much simpler than with bzr: It will be simple to
code-review pull requests with comments and all amenities of of the
github process. Kicad developers (with a link to the pull request on
the mirror) can comment on the patch which is a simpler and faster
process than sending a patch via email and discussing it over that
medium.

Once the patch is reviewed and optimized, some KiCad main developer
can get the patch and apply it to the main bzr (and then delete the
original pull request on git).

So one question: Blair would you be happy if you see pull requests on
your mirror ?

KiCad developers: what can we do to have the official
https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror mirror up-to-date all the
time, so that we can adopt such a workflow ? Can Blair get access to
the main KiCad github to run his script to update that ?

I do see some long-term developers roll their eyes. But, as author and
contributor to many open source projects, I can tell you that not
putting unnecessary hurdles in the way of potential contributors is as
well an important aspect of an open source project.

-h