Re: Revisiting the Git decision

On 5 February 2014 15:03, Henner Zeller <h.zeller@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> ...snip...
>
> This sounds excellent. I think I am going to base my pending work on
> your mirror until the official kicad-source-mirror is fixed to be
> up-to-date.
>
> We need to make sure though that the reverse path back into the KiCad
> source works as well: pull requests.
> The first part is much simpler than with bzr: It will be simple to
> code-review pull requests with comments and all amenities of of the
> github process. Kicad developers (with a link to the pull request on
> the mirror) can comment on the patch which is a simpler and faster
> process than sending a patch via email and discussing it over that
> medium.
>
> Once the patch is reviewed and optimized, some KiCad main developer
> can get the patch and apply it to the main bzr (and then delete the
> original pull request on git).
>
> So one question: Blair would you be happy if you see pull requests on
> your mirror ?

It wouldn't bother me. But I am nowhere near being a core developer, and am
very unfamiliar with the code (hoping to find the time to implement a
couple of features in the medium term, but that is another story), so I
cannot review or apply patches. You'd have to find a workflow which works
for the developers -- they may prefer to keep reviews on the mailing list.

To quote an earlier message from Cirilo Bernardo, who has recently
submitted several patches for IDF export support:

> If it's a small patch I post it to the list, if it's an enormous patch I
push it to my patch
> repository on github and make an announcement on the list.

Another option could be to use the GitHub comparison feature (click the
green button above the file list of a GitHub repository) to post changes to
the list. For example, the last few commits from my mirror:

https://github.com/blairbonnett-mirrors/kicad/compare/582ca1519a...0b379a5382

To get a diff file, just add .diff to the URL:

https://github.com/blairbonnett-mirrors/kicad/compare/582ca1519a...0b379a5382.diff

Regards,
Blair