Re: library problem in Cvpcb

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 01:07:14PM -0800, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
> This is not so unusual; one of the few uses of globally executed profiles
> is to run the message-of-the-day. If you do anything more than that you'll
> probably break something and have a hundred UNIX users cursing you. The
> best solution I think is to install a setup script which individual users
> can run; that script in turn should make changes to the user's .bash_rc
> and .profile files. Such a scheme would be acceptable on a generic UNIX
> installation (though I wonder how many KiCad users have it installed on
> a multi-user system).

I know, coming from a Sun background where the startup scripts where
*heavily* customized (something like doing multiple chrooted environment
without chroot but only pointing around environment variables)... but no
MOTD :P

For bonus points: jobs in cron sourced the profile (or cron itself used
a login shell, I don't remember the details).

OTOH in that enviroment the mouse was only to select text and pasting
into an xterm; most of the newer freedesktop/LSB stuff is geared toward
the PC usage i.e. one single user with no system customization
whatsoever. User which most probably don't even know that a dotfile is
hidden....

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl