Re: Documentation footprint postscript/pdfs in kicad-library are HUGE bitmap images.

Le 13/02/2014 08:10, Henner Zeller a écrit :
> Hi,
> The documentation files in
>    https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/tree/master/modules/footprints_doc
>
> Are very huge. In fact, this directory alone contributes to 502M out
> of 580M of the whole kicad-library. Yes, almost 90% of the data
> downloaded for the kicad-library is pixelated PostScript files. Which
> means it takes forever to download on a slow link.
>
> They seem to be generated from bitmaps, which makes them so huge (and
> pretty low quality on print; even on a low-resolution screen they are
> already pixellated). Since they are generated from the PCB printouts
> of KiCad, this indicates that at the time they were generated, the
> version of printing was broken - shouldn't it always generate vector
> graphics ?
>
> Since I am right now working my way through the code of KiCad on other
> parts, I have not entered the printing realm yet - what is the
> commandline way to generate a postscript file from a *.sch or *.brd
> file ? That way, these things can be automated in a Makefile.
> Does KiCad generate/export PostScript directly without going through
> some generic wxWidgets way of printing ? If not, I could have a stab
> at it (I usually write PostScript by hand for fun).

Cleary, these PS and PDF files are not created by Pcbnew.

I am thinking PS files are now useless, because Pcbnew (and eeschema)
can generate these PDF files (Plot menu).

This is a recent feature in Pcbnew, therefore the contributor could have
created these PS files mainly to create PDF files.

But now, no need to store/download these PS files.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS