Re: writing a new top level wxPython based project manager

On 24 March 2014 08:34, dileep kushwaha <dilzverykool@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I need  team member(s) to complete this project. I feel I'm too noob to
> complete this part alone.

Hi Dileep,

The first thing you need to do is to get some code running - at least
get a basic wxPython application able to run which will be the start
of your project.

Then you can work out what you want the application to look like and
what functionality you want to implement. The KiCad application at the
moment merely consists of:

(1) A row of buttons to launch the various KiCad applications
(2) A message panel area
(3) A treeview which shows files in the project
(4) Project loading and saving
(5) Project creation via templates

That gets you the majority of functionality. The first thing I would
do is to specify what the new application may look like and how it may
work. Personally I'd prefer more of a status page approach, and
somewhere that I can manage the project. I, for example want somewhere
to put the project specifics such as board thickness, or layer stackup
definitions, or somewhere to define impedance coupons, technology,
panel size, etc.

Getting some ideas from other developers via the developers list may
help you decide how you want the app to look. Or, of course, you can
simply mimic what's there already.

So after you've specified, you can start coding functionality. It
would be best to get your code online as soon as possible. For people
to help, they're going to have to be able to see the code. Get
yourself a Launchpad account and push your code to a new branch. It's
best to put your specification in a blueprint on Launchpad too so it's
free for everyone to see.

Good Luck, and thanks for your interest in the project!

Best Regards,

Brian.