Re: Diode pad names?

Le 04/04/2014 20:02, Nick Østergaard a écrit :

>> I am in the process of migrating my personal footprint an schematic part libraries to
>> using A and C for pad/pin names.
>>
>> Away from 1 and 2.
>>
>> Other than the fact that I now have the burden of maintaining every footprint and
>> schematic part object myself relating to all things diode, from now to eternity, is this a
>> bad idea?

Since a long time, I am using A and K (or C for you) for diodes, EBC for
bipolar transistors and GSD for FETs.

I suggest you to also use + and - for polarized capacitors.

> I might very well be a good idea -- same goes for transistors. But
> what would you do with a BAT54S? This is a three pin package with two
> diodes in series with a pin in between. One could still stick with
> numbers for all those doubtfull packages, but that could seem
> inconsisten to the user if we make this the new way in kicad.

Pins are in this case A, C and AC for the common anode-cathode pin
For double diodes, you could use A1, A2 and C, or C1, C2 and A

>> It's now impossible for the zenor, tvs, diode, or whatever to get placed on the board
>> incorrectly with this, is my thinking. (Assumes the footprint silkscreen is idiot proof
>> with clear Cathode demarcation.)

I agree with Dick, it helps to avoid many mistakes when choosing a
footprint.

The main drawback is you need more footprints, but this is a very minor
issue.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS