Re: Diode pad names?

On 04/04/2014 01:02 PM, Nick Østergaard wrote:

>> I am in the process of migrating my personal footprint an schematic part libraries to
>> using A and C for pad/pin names.
>>
>> Away from 1 and 2.
>>
>> Other than the fact that I now have the burden of maintaining every footprint and
>> schematic part object myself relating to all things diode, from now to eternity, is this a
>> bad idea?
>
> I might very well be a good idea -- same goes for transistors. But
> what would you do with a BAT54S? This is a three pin package with two
> diodes in series with a pin in between.

C1 A C2

or

A1 C A2

LOL, you shouldn't be asking me about footprints.

One could still stick with
> numbers for all those doubtfull packages, but that could seem
> inconsisten to the user if we make this the new way in kicad.

Thanks for the feedback on my personal libraries, was just trying to see if I would be
shooting myself in the foot.

Feel free to borrow any ideas you think good.  I am not advocating or obstructing anything
pertaining to the direction of the "kicad" libraries, as I am not the most knowledgeable
on parts and footprints.

I am so bad at hardware that I once made a board that came back with the diodes on it
backwards.  This strategy is designed to prevent that, and I was wondering if it had a
downside that I cannot see.