Re: Trace length tuning/matching for Kicad

Length matching in USB or other differential signals is for avoiding
phase offsets between the two halves of the differential pair, length
matching in RAM or other parallel data buses is reduction of skew to
ensure sufficient setup time between DQS/clock and data arrival.

In both cases the issue is not length matching per se, it's delay
matching. If you assume the board is uniform composition and impedance
over its area (which is valid if there are no breaks in the planes and
the FR4 substrate is good quality), all signals in the bus are on the
same layer, and there are no discontinuities like vias in the signals,
then delay matching approximately reduces to the simpler case of length
matching.

Propagation delay is typically on the order of 6.5 ps/mm but is higher
on buried lines than surface lines and is dependent on a bunch of other
factors too.

Micron gives a good example of static timing analysis for DDR3 1600 in
TN4113 on page 11-12. For a 476 ps window, after subtracting all of the
other sources of eye narrowing (controller skew, crosstalk, rise/fall
times, etc) there's only 10ps of slack allocated to routing delay which
means length matching of +/- ~0.6mm across the entire bus.