Re: Trace length tuning/matching for Kicad

On 04/16/2014 03:40 PM, Pierre Parent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, someone reported to me that he could ran a board only in slower DDR
> timing because he did not do any  length matching.
>
> Also olimex has done length matching in their board olinuxino maxi (enclosed
> image), and we can find plenty of design guidelines about DDR(2,3) routing
> speaking of length matching. Eagle and Altium include length matching tool. So
> I'm not an expert but it is probably not just a joke when it comes to Ram
> (don't know about USB).
>
> Pierre.

I once used the microwave tool to generate a delay line for a clock signal, this was to
generate a fixed delay in a DDR RAM circuit on that one line only.  (This was 5-6 years
ago.  We still make that board.)  The output was a module, and I dropped that module onto
the board after I got it to be the correct length.

It did its job, but I think there was always a DRC error, because I did not put it into
the schematic.

Again, your tool will be useful.  Matching the data and address lines in a DDR design is
the big need these days.

We're asking the electrons to do more in less time, but they seem lazy.

Dick