Re: Forward-compatibility in s-expression formats

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 07:31:47PM +0100, John Beard wrote:
> it will show you what it can. You'd be annoyed if it didn't, it would be
> like Flash needing the latest version to watch your video, without the
> excuse that is necessary to implement the latest and greatest DRM fad.

Uhm... doesn't actually flash or java work this way? I uninstalled them
after being tired of the weekly updates....

> It's not because *I* don't want to upgrade, *I'm* to the one who's
> hypothetically extended some aspect of the footprint format for my own
> ends. It's because J. Random McTrunkBuild (or even his cousin,
> McDistroVersion) shouldn't need to recompile with a patch from me to
> read a footprint of mine which has my field "(user_sku 45443)" or
> "(jedec_ref "SOT45")" in it, when he doesn't need or care about that
> field.

Yay my problem too. I added support for courtyard and assembly layers because I needed them but the whole idea was rejected (in the meantime on the user list they keep asking how to do it...).

Obviously now they can't be read by a stock pcbnew if I use them... the
sexp quoting at least was backward compatible.

I'm still convinced that a simple generic something like (attribute
"user_sku" "45443"), like that supported by gencad would be useful for
your needs. eeschema attributes works like that, too.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl