Re: GAL for non-OpenGL

Hi Lorenzo,

On 05/23/2014 09:33 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> I was reading the road map (good work on that BTW), and I would comment
> on this point:
>
> - Port wxDC to GAL or get Cairo rendering to nearly the performance of
>    the current wxDC rendering so that we have a single framework to
>    develop new tools and we can continue to support systems that don't
>    have a complete OpenGL stack.
>
> Question: why not simply do a GAL implementation using wxDC instead of
> the other way? Are there technical issues on that?

It is exactly the way how we would like to have it done - develop another rendering backend using wxDC (and then if there is some spare time available - aalib).

> Also I don't know why but it seems that the opengl view is more tiring
> on the sight... maybe it's because it's less contrasty or because of the
> transparent blending? no idea, just an impression of mine (I've really
> thick glasses so I'm not a 'standard' viewer)

Try experimenting with color settings. There are (unoffical yet) hot keys for changing transparency of the active layer (shift+[ & shift+]) - maybe that can help a bit. Personally, I think that antialiasing could make a difference too (have a look at the Cairo backend).

Regards,
Orson