Re: CERN work package 4 (Extend number of layers)

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio
<l.marcantonio@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh well, after all they are simply a 'comment' layer which is paired.
> AFAIK no special treatment is done on them. However a good & complete
> proposal for work order 4 would be interesting; I found the separate
> courtyard layers especially useful in my latest boards (even without
> a proper DRC routine on them).

I think Tom will reply later. Let me take the opportunity to clarify
one point in case there had been a misunderstanding. We prepared these
preliminary descriptions of work packages because we think KiCad could
do with a bit more structure/planning in order to welcome more
contributions. We do not have the intention or the capability to do
all the coding related to these work packages. There are 287
subscribers in kicad-developers [1]. I bet many of them are very
competent developers and could contribute much more. I also guess many
people currently outside the developers mailing list but with a keen
interest on PCB CAD tools could potentially contribute. So let me
temporarily hijack this thread and address a question, especially but
not only to potential contributors: what more could we do so you feel
welcome to step up and take one of these work packages? I think there
is a lot of potential to contribute out there, but maybe we have not
set the appropriate conditions. Your opinions are very welcome. I
think if we do this right KiCad can take an important qualitative step
in the right direction.

Thanks,

Javier