Re: Static variables in module editor

On 10.06.2014 16:06, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 06/10/2014 08:47 AM, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
On 10.06.2014 15:22, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 08:15:44AM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
I think we need to save that footprint in the PROJECT.  Maybe put it there upon wxFrame
destruction, and go get it upon wxFrame creation.  That makes it project specific.

Wouldn't be better if the footprint were standalone? Footprints at the
end 'starts' in the libraries and 'ends' on a board (project). I'd say
the footprint in edit is logically in the footprint editor frame (so
theorically you could open more than one editor, a useful feature).

If the footprint is simply picked from a lib for edit is there a project
associated? Maybe the default 'noname' project?

It doesn't feel right to me having it tied to the project :P

Hi Lorenzo,

To me it also looks simpler (and cleaner) to decouple the
footprint/symbol editor. Just open a library file (not an entry from the
lib table), edit a footprint/symbol, save the library and use it. That's
how it works in most proprietary software.

Tom

This hypothetical patch could have been submitted at any time in KiCad's history.

What I am doing now is preserving the existing UI, while at the same time picking up paste
and support for multiple open projects.

Tom, BTW, the fact that you addressed this email singly to Lorenzo, who is not actually
involved in the coding effort, I find very offensive.
Hi Dick,

I clicked send, replying to Lorenzo's comment right when your next e-mail came. Sorry for that, I didn't intend to offend anybody.

Regards,
Tom