Re: 3D viewer, VRML V1.0 support

I am also new to Kicad dev.  Some of my first work with Kicad dealt with
the 3D viewer. I have not submitted code yet - but there is a process for
doing so.  There should be a FAQ somewhere which covers this although I
have not needed to consult one yet.

https://answers.launchpad.net/kicad/+faq/1049

Thus far, my introductory work has included realistic mode soldermask color
selection, allowing for decoupling hide/show layers between 3d viewer and
PCBNew, autosave of zoom/rotate parameters after exit, realistic mode
silkscreen color selection, etc.

As there is already a VRML exporter - you may want to look there even
though this does not launch from the 3d viewer.

There are surely others with longer runtime with the code who can better
point you in the right direction.

The 3d code, in general, is easy to find since the source tree contains
"3d".

Regards,
Jason