Re: 3D modules path strange behaviour

Le 05/08/2014 02:13, Cirilo Bernardo a écrit :

(...)
The use of the variable KISYS3DMOD is hard-coded; this is due to the fact that there is no configuration file similar to fp-lib-table used by the 3D code. The environment variable was introduced as a quick fix to the 3D code after the old path resolution system was removed. Personally I support the current use where KISYS3DMOD can be set to point to the root of the old 3D models directory so that we have the behavior which was present before the changes in the path resolution code.

right, but now the variable content looks hardoded also.

Any further changes will have to be carefully thought out and are likely to affect the GUI as well. For example let's say we have PathA, PathB, PathC for 3D models. When you want to associate a model in one of those paths, how does the file dialog offer you the convenience to quickly select one of those? If you only have a partial path such as a relative path and it's valid for PathA, PathB, PathC, then what do you do?
open the window to the root of all those pathes ? Or open a window on the first one, with all the others in a list on the left so you can rapidly switch from one to another ?

We essentially have the same broken behavior as in eeschema. At the moment I prefer to live with the old familiar problems than to hastily implement something which will be even worse. The current system, despite its shortcomings, works for me and in my mind improving it will actually require substantial work. If someone wants to plan and execute that work I'm sure many users will be grateful, but personally I don't see it as being important enough for me to spend time on. - Cirilo

The fact is for now the actual partial path system don't work. Combined to the problem with uppercase letters in paths, it makes complicated to use the 3D view.
It's not a big deal anyway :)

As a non-guru user, I'm sure it will be a great improvement if there was a place in preferences where we can set thoses variables without having to manually edit profile files. And at least I use linux and I know what environnement variables are. I'm pretty sure most windows user dosen't. Maybe it is possible to have somewhere (in the project file or in another specific config file) the variable list and their values. Kicad could write that file on exit, and reload it on starting and set the variables locally. This way you don't have to care about distro or OS specific place where variables are set.

If you think this could be usefull, I can try to propose a patch. Let me know.

Regards

yann