Re: building kicad with wxWidgets on Linux

well, I took the advice offered and added the wxWidgets bin directory to the front of my PATH. I added the wxWidgets lib directory to the front of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

cmake . -DwxWidgets_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE=/home/jfm/wx/bin/wx-config

cmake . -DwxWidgets_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE=/home/jfm/wx/bin/wx-config
CMake Error at CMakeModules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:136 (message):
  Could NOT find wxWidgets: Found unsuitable version "2.8.12", but required
  is at least "3.0.0" (found
-L/home/jfm/wx/lib;-pthread;;;-lwx_gtk2u_gl-3.0;-lwx_gtk2u_aui-3.0;-lwx_gtk2u_adv-3.0;-lwx_gtk2u_html-3.0;-lwx_gtk2u_core-3.0;-lwx_baseu_net-3.0;-lwx_baseu-3.0;-lwx_baseu_xml-3.0)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeModules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:341 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  CMakeModules/FindwxWidgets.cmake:901 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  CMakeLists.txt:376 (find_package)

This is the error I have been struggling against. Notice the complaint about 2.8 and 3.0. That is, the argument to cmake was pointless. But also notice it did find wxWidgets at ~/wx. It then corrupted the output to look like it was meant for Windows, not Linux. Linux would throw up on such drivel. wx-config --libs gives what I would expect

/home/jfm/wx/bin/wx-config --libs
-L/home/jfm/wx/lib -pthread -lwx_gtk2u_xrc-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_html-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_qa-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_adv-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_core-3.0 -lwx_baseu_xml-3.0 -lwx_baseu_net-3.0 -lwx_baseu-3.0

That, at least, looks good to me.

so next I tried

cmake . -DwxWidgets_ROOT_DIR=/home/jfm/wx

but that gives exactly the same error as the previous error.

Finally I tried just this

cmake  .

expecting that to fail, and it did but it gave me the same error as all the rest of these attempts.

So I am out of possibilities that Google gave me.

How does anybody run cmake with wxWidgets not in /usr/local nor in the system dirs?

*
*