Stable release version numbers.

In the past we have used the repo commit number as the stable version
number.  I'm not sure this is the best idea as there can be overlapping
commit numbers in separate branches.  I would like to propose using
something that we can clearly identify as a release version to prevent
confusion due to duplicate commit version numbers.  I recently committed
the stable release policy to the developers documentation but I
intentionally left out the version number section because I wanted to
make sure we are on board with the idea.  It would make it clear to
developers, users and packagers that they are using a stable release
versus a development release.  It also makes it easier to name source
and binary packages.  I'm perfectly happy using the good old fashioned
numerical triplet (#.#.#).  It's easy for most version comparison
functions to deal with.  I suggest for the next stable release we start
at the beginning 1.0.0.  If no one objects, I will update the stable
release policy and add the code to CMakeLists.txt before we get to the
next stable release.

Thanks,