Re: new documentation format

To: kicad-developers
From: Marco Ciampa
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:58:17 +0200

> If you have any doubt or problem about anything please
> express yourself.

I consider that the use of formats to create documentation using
translations in the form of translation database (.po files) will,
despite the many advantages, also some disadvantages for translators.

While the use of such forms of translations for the UI is quite
comfortable, the use of that form for translating a continuous text
(which is result of the train of thoughts) can be very uncomfortable
for translators.

Why? The main difficulty will be limited visibility of the logic of the
text and its layout (indentation, spacing). There will be situations
where we will need to translate a fragment out of context. I as a
translator prefer also see more of the text to be able to, among
others, eliminate repetition of words and the use of synonyms. My
native language is very flexible in this topic.

Taking also the specificity of translated texts, unfortunately, it is
in so many cases impossible to translate word for word. Sometimes you
have to break down complex sentence into two (or even three) sentences
that the reader can easily assimilate them.
By translating KiCad user manual I had to just do that many times.
Sometimes adding something from each other to avoid ambiguity.

So. That’s my (maybe wrong) doubts.

Regards
Kerusey Karyu

Follow ups