Re: Windows install paths.

On 25 October 2014 17:22, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been working on packaging KiCad on MSYS2 with mingw64 and mingw32.
>  I have everything building including the full Python scripting.
> Unfortunately our current install paths when building with mingw don't
> match up with the msys/mingw file structure.  The msys/mingw file
> structure is the same as linux except for the library binaries which get
> installed in the bin/ folder in order for the executable to be able to
> find the libraries.  I propose that we change our windows install paths
> to be the same as linux except for the kiface libraries.  Our path
> search code can be simplified since windows and linux have the same
> relative install paths.  Our windows install would look like
>
> # Path for executable and shared objects.
> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/bin
>
> # Path for documentation.
> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/kicad/doc
>
> # Path for demo projects.
> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/kicad/demos
>
> # Path for project templates.
> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/kicad/templates
>
> # Path for component libraries.
> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/kicad/library
>
> # Path for plugings.
> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/kicad/plugins
>
> # Path for data files.
> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/kicad
>
> # Path for footprint library files when no GitHub.
> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/kicad/modules
>
> # Path for 3D model libraries.
> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/kicad/share/modules/packages3D

I presume this would be ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/kicad/modules/packages3D

I think both modules directories should be changed now to footprint.
We've made the decision to move to footprint, so let's give the user
an easier life by being consistent. We probably need the code to drop
back to the modules directory to maintain compatibility though.

Other than that, the paths all look sane to me.

> If no one objects to these changes, I will update our install paths
> accordingly and submit the kicad package build file to the msys2
> project.  Hopefully, soon you will be able to install msys2 and install
> kicad by running the `pacman -S`.

Sounds good.

I really don't want to get to a point where KiCad on Windows has MSYS
as a dependency. I have a pretty big dislike of MSYS myself.

I think we should start a new project. Something like
KiCad-Wininstaller or simiar, it doesn't really matter what it's
called. It's normal for the binary packages to be provided by separate
projects and not by the main project itself, it's not unusual.

I was hoping someone would step up and take KiCad-Winbuilder there,
really there's not much more to do for it other than globbing the
output into an installer. I believe that's pretty much what Milan has
been doing.

Once we have a lightweight stable release marked it'll make more sense
for someone to take on the Windows packaging role.

Best Regards,

Brian.