Re: new documentation format

On 10/25/2014 6:17 PM, Marco Ciampa wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 10:52:54AM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> Marco,
>>
>> Great work on the conversion analysis.  I finally go around to testing
>> this and I have to say that I prefer the asciidoc format better than the
>> markdown and rst formats for plain text readability.
>
> Almost everyone does it but please consider that readability is not the
> most important factor. As I said many people use rest because of sphinx.
> Please consider that sphinx integrate a search javascript function into
> the html generated, although maybe not so important.

My main issue with the rst formatting was the fact that odt2sphinx
creating very long line which in some cases wrap more than once using a
100 character line width editor.  This is a serious problem IMO.
Looking at wrapped lines in a text editor makes my eyes bleed.  I hope
this is just the output formatting issue with odt2sphinx and not
required by the rst format.  Please don't underestimate the importance
of plain text readability.  If I have to struggle to figure out the file
format, I will be less motivated to contribute to maintaining the
documentation. My guess is that other potential contributers will feel
the same way.  That being said, rst would be tolerable if the formatting
issues can be resolved.  Are there features in rst that are not in
asciidoc or markdown that are required to generate the kicad
documentation?  If so, then that tends to tip things in favor of rst.
If not, then the less readable syntax would favor asciidoc.