Re: code for 3d model generator

> For over 2 years I have maintained a project for generating VRML models for
> use with KiCad.
> ( See http://kicad3dmodels.sourceforge.net. ) The code includes basic
> objects or tools
> which can be used to describe parts using parametric models. I think if the
> source can be
> included in KiCad then more people will use it and perhaps even contribute
> to extending
> the code. If this sounds like a good idea, let me know and I will start
> preparing the code for
> inclusion in KiCad. This will take some time since I will have to review the
> coding style and
> modify the CMake files to integrate well with the KiCad source.
>
> I would propose to add these tools to the 'utils' source directory since it
> is an independent tool.
> Initial builds would have to be optional since the code has currently only
> been tested on Linux;
> one of the reasons I would like to move the source into KiCad is to get more
> feedback on
> cross-platform builds. Hopefully the tools will eventually run on all
> supported platforms and can
> become a default enabled tool in KiCad. One advantage of this parametric
> modeling is that
> much less memory is required to produce high quality models when compared to
> the current
> popular technique of manual modeling in Wings3D + conversion to VRML. The
> current tools for
> example have a number of Python scripts which can generate many thousands of
> models.

I have not tried to check out what you have on sf.net. But how is this
going to integrate with kicad? Is it supposed to be used as the IDF
tools? Should this be integrated in pcbnew's GUI or? Sorry if these
are stupid questions, but I just have a hard time to see how I can use
this in a pcb design workflow.

Nick