Re: OS X Packaging Update

The https://github.com/metacollin/homebrew-kicad looks pretty good.

What does the gist.githubusercontent.com/metacollin patch do?

Bob G

On 01/06/2015 04:08 PM, Collin Anderson wrote:
Hi, I'm the guy who emailed the list on Sunday.  Sorry, I've been
swamped with things but I will be more present and involved.  I have
python scripting working great, but involves some of that python
voodoo I mentioned.  It does require downloading the official python
redistributable framework and (optionally) removing some innards to
slim it down to the basic framework build target.  But after that, it
just needs to be pointed to when building wxpython and then kicad.
 For now, I am just going to include instructions on this in the
branch description, as I am unsure how everyone wants to handle that.
 I'd be happy to incorporate it to Adam Wolf's build script if
desired, or whatever else, but for now...check the branch description
:). Writing documentation and doing general polishing but that branch
is imminent.

A couple other things related to builds and OS X:
For a tiny bit, I've been providing (very) unofficial KiCad builds for
OS X users, but I intentionally have done this without any web
presence beyond a single forum thread, to make it simple to direct
people to official mac builds and not have weird moonshiney binaries
of KiCad floating around.  I hope this isn't something frowned upon, I
really did it with best intentions. I have stopped this since joining
the developer list (I don't want any possibility of people thinking
it's official), and tried to word things well.  Here is the thread:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/new-os-x-kicad-build-with-all-the-trimmings

As you can see, the response and enthusiasm from OS X users has been
enormous! Many users have desperately wanted a newer version of KiCad,
but its sheer insurmountability that bars them.  Building a package
from source is just too far outside their knowledge base.  Some can
deal with running a script or using homebrew or macports to install
something, but we OS X users in general do not have much experience or
knowledge of traditional build systems (XCode handles that stuff for
us) and have only the most basic knowledge of unix shells.  This is
not to our fault - there is, for most users and developers, no need
and very limited benefits to learning those skills, so of course, we
don't.  That's a huge generalization of course, but based on what I've
observed as well as issue threads for mac ports and homebrew, OS X
users just seem extremely weak in these areas, far weaker than the
rest of the *nix communities, in my opinion.  And its often overlooked
or unnoticed, in my opinion.

My point is, OS X users are jonesing for builds! :D They''d be happy
with monthlies, but nightlies are of course even better.  Adam Wolf's
osx builder script will be welcomed, that much I am certain of! Even
with the terrific documentation on how to build KiCad on OS X that is
right there in the repo, it is a bit much to ask of the average OS X
electrical engineer :). A single script will make a lot of people
pretty happy.

Finally, the last thing I want to mention.  I haven't gone public with
it yet, but I also have a working --HEAD only tap that will build and
install KiCad for OS X.  I'd like to add automatic kicad-library
cloning before telling anyone about it and clean up the real dirty
ruby code that it is right now, but if anyone is interested,
https://github.com/metacollin/homebrew-kicad is it and it works, at
least on my system.  Not sure if its any use to anyone, but thought
I'd let you guys know.

On Jan 6, 2015, at 11:31 AM, Adam Wolf <adamwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx