Re: Global fp-lib-table path

On 2/22/2015 11:40 AM, Bernhard Stegmaier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I did a clean install of one of my machines and now I am setting up
> everything for KiCad again - without having all the links, environment
> variables, and other stuff that I created over time to keep KiCad going.
> The recent changes regarding environment variables made life *much*
> easier for models and 3D-models, thanks for that!
> The last thing I came across is location of global fp-lib-table.
>
> Currently the global/default fp-lib-table is created under the KiCad
> preference path:
>
>     xString FP_LIB_TABLE::GetGlobalTableFileName()
>     {
>         wxFileName fn;
>
>         fn.SetPath( GetKicadConfigPath() );
>         fn.SetName( global_tbl_name );
>
>         return fn.GetFullPath();
>     }
>

> Wouldn’t it make more sense or be more consistent to have it in
> $KISYSMOD where all models are?
> OK, fp-lib-table is some kind of configuration/preference which models
> to use, so it might fit into the preference location.
> But, at least I have my models in my own repository checked out to some
> folder and along with them in the same place the fp-lib-table matching
> the models of the repository.

fp-lib-table is a per user configuration file not a configuration file
for every user on the system.  Therefor it should reside in the current
user's configuration file path wherever that is on OSX.  On windows it
is %APPDATA%\kicad and on linux it is ~/.config/kicad.

> To use that I currently have to link this fp-lib-table into the
> preference location, which I wouldn’t have to do when the base would be
> $KISYSMOD.
> Or, is there another way to use my own fp-lib-table?
>
> Using $KISYSMOD as base for the global fp-lib-table would also allow to
> switch between different libraries just by changing $KISYSMOD.
> I guess this can’t be done right now or am I missing something?

$KISYSMOD is only necessary when you do not user the github pluging to
read the default footprint libraries or you have local system wide
footprint libraries defined.  The github plugin is the default.