Re: Global fp-lib-table path

> On 22 Feb 2015, at 20:38, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 2/22/2015 11:40 AM, Bernhard Stegmaier wrote:
>>
>> Wouldn’t it make more sense or be more consistent to have it in
>> $KISYSMOD where all models are?
>> OK, fp-lib-table is some kind of configuration/preference which models
>> to use, so it might fit into the preference location.
>> But, at least I have my models in my own repository checked out to some
>> folder and along with them in the same place the fp-lib-table matching
>> the models of the repository.
>
> fp-lib-table is a per user configuration file not a configuration file
> for every user on the system.  Therefor it should reside in the current
> user's configuration file path wherever that is on OSX.  On windows it
> is %APPDATA%\kicad and on linux it is ~/.config/kicad.

Yes, sure.
I don’t say that I want to have it machine specific.
I just think that in some way the fp-lib-table should match the module repository… I have seen fp-lib-tables floating around for github, for local storage, etc. Many (all?) module libraries I found on the net bring their own fp-lib-table with them.

So, I just wondered if it wouldn’t be better when using a local module library to store a fp-lib-table matching that module library along with it and being able to point KiCad to it.
At the moment if I want to use my own library on more than one machine I either have to fiddle around linking/copying custom fp-lib-table to some place where a user should never have to or do something.
Or, I have to create the same fp-lib-table for my module library via GUI for every machine from scratch, which will be quite annoying I guess.

> $KISYSMOD is only necessary when you do not user the github pluging to
> read the default footprint libraries or you have local system wide
> footprint libraries defined.  The github plugin is the default.

And, there have been lengthy discussion whether you want to use github libraries or not.
I don’t… I like to know that the parts I order will fit the PCB at first try.

Regards,
Bernhard